Building Out a Product Marketing Team with Thomas Dong, VP of Product Marketing at Heap
Product marketing is an exciting and emerging career, but isn't always a role that is included early on in companies. This week’s expert, Thomas, is currently working on building out his PMM team and shares his perspective on the steps he's taking to make this happen. Tune in to hear what he is doing to build a strong team that will focus on GTM strategy, positioning, messaging, content, sales enablement, and product launches.
Join Thomas on Sharebird here: https://sharebird.com/profile/thomas-dong
Heap is hiring! Check out career opportunities here: https://heap.io/careers
Questions we cover in this episode:
- Tell me about your career path to becoming a PMM?
- How is the marketing team structured at Heap?
- So you’re building out the product marketing team at Heap right now. What does that mean?
- What did you do first? Did you need to learn about the product/customer/market to figure out how to build out the team?
- How will you structure your team? Aligned to products? Industries?
- What do you look for in new hires?
- How will you measure success and evaluate your team?
- Tell me about your product marketing philosophy?
- What mistakes do people make when building a new PMM team?
- What’s your outlook on the career of Product Marketing? Is it a good place to be right now?